spicy pressed tofu salad

by Stevie on August 21, 2012

spicy pressed tofu salad

spicy pressed tofu salad

I’m so excited about this new-to-me book, Andrea Nguyen’s Asian Tofu. I saw it by chance at the local Whole Foods and was cautiously interested. I ordered a copy from the library and couldn’t put it down once I started reading. I shall have to splurge and actually buy a copy soon.

Nguyen writes in a lucid style with a modern sensibility. Despite the extremely broad sounding title, the focus here is on traditional uses of the various kinds of tofu. She’s lots of helpful illustrations and really breaks down the subject matter into digestible portions—pun intended. I made this dish last week just before we left for a trip to LA to hear fun. at the Wiltern. Mmmmm!

spicy pressed tofu salad

1 package pressed tofu cut into bite-sided cubes
2/3 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
4 spring onions, cut into rounds
3 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp fermented black beans, mashed
2½ tbsp chili bean sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
½ tsp sugar
1 to 2 tbsp spicy chili oil to garnish

Andrea recommends “refreshing” the peanuts by lightly roasting them in a dry pan. Let cool. Add to tofu with spring onion.

In a small pan, add canola oil, sesame oil, fermented black beans and chili bean sauce. Heat about two minutes on medium. Remove from heat and add sugar and soy sauce.

Toss sauce with tofu. Sprinkle with some chili oil. Serve.

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors August 21, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Oh this would be great even as a stir-fry. Fabulous flavors. I just made Ma Po Tofu this week so this totally rocks :)

Hope you and Stevie are well Hegui.

Chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Marlena August 21, 2012 at 6:17 pm

This looks delicious! I am looking for new ways to spice up Tofu now that I am eating mostly vegetarian style so this post came at the perfect time! Thank you! I think I will try this recipe out…

Heguiberto August 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Marlena,
Do try this. It is very easy to make. Ingredients can be found at Asian Markets. I glad to hear you are on a more vegetarian diet. It is fun :)
Hope all is well
Cheers,
Heguiberto

valentina August 22, 2012 at 3:47 am

so glad that I found your blog again. I had lost the link – but going through my about page i came across it. I spent a few years going to Singapore on business and once to japan as wel. Just then I discovered good tofu. Nowadays I make a special effort to go to the few places where I am certain of getting the good stuff either in my hometown or in London.Love the ingredients of this dish = mainly the black beans paste, tofu and peanuts. different textures and flavours. all very complementary. I’ll definitely give it a try.

Tom @ Tall Clover Farm August 24, 2012 at 7:17 am

Spicy dish, spicy video. I like the recipe because I can load it up with veggies too, now that I’m swimming in goods from the garden. Thanks for sharing “fun”. New to me, the group I mean. ;-)

Krista August 26, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Oh yum! I love toasted sesame oil so much. :-) I’m a novice when it comes to cooking with tofu, so a sensible, clear guide like this would be perfect for me. :-)

Braces September 12, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Looks delicious and easy to whip up! Perfect for sore teeth from wearing braces too