salt cod fritters aka bolinho de bacalhau

by Heguiberto on March 2, 2012

salt cod fritters aka bolinho de bacalhau, or pasties de bacalhau

salt cod fritters aka bolinho de bacalhau, or pasties de bacalhau

I served this as appetizer for a salt cod themed dinner party we had over President’s Day weekend. We don’t fry too much at home but sometimes I like to break the rules. These cod fritters came out so good! As proof, all of them were eaten within about 10 minutes after they came out of the frying pan.

That night, we enjoyed these in the company John and Jasmine. Jasmine had just returned from her week vacation to Singapore with Prof. T (who is now somewhere in Australia for work). It was fun listening to her experiences abroad.

I made a Brazilian croquette version of this in the past which is similar. The main difference is the texture: the croquettes are slightly more dense; and the fritters, more airy and fluffy. Both are super tasty.

salt cod fritters aka bolinho de bacalhau, or pastéis de bacalhau

1 cup cooked salt cod in flakes (click here to learn how to desalt/cook salt cod)
2 cups mashed potato
4 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped fine
2 eggs
4 tbsp olive oil
½ small white onion, in small dice
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt
Black pepper
Pinch nutmeg
Canola oil for frying

Put olive oil in a saucepan, add onions and cook on low heat until soft and translucent. Add garlic then cod, salt, pepper, nutmeg, parsley and potato and stir to combine. Cook for a couple of minutes making sure all ingredients have been mixed together. Adjust flavors. Remove from heat and let cool down a bit. Add eggs one at a time. Stir to combine.

preparing salt cod mixture for salt cod fritters aka bolinho de bacalhau, or pasties de bacalhau

preparing cod mixture for salt cod fritters aka bolinho de bacalhau, or pasties de bacalhau

Fill a small pan with a couple inches of canola oil. Bring temperature to medium high.

Use a tablespoon to scoop out the cod mixture. Use another one to shape the mass into an elliptical cake. Repeat until no cod mix remains. Fry for approximately 4 minutes or until browned, flipping half way through. Transfer to a paper towel to drain.

Serve hot with wedges of lemon and pepper sauce.

draining browned salt cod fritters

draining browned salt cod fritters

Neeli March 2, 2012 at 2:22 am

Mmmm! Those look so delicious!

Alaiyo Kiasi March 3, 2012 at 11:41 am

As much as love the idea and taste of cod, a healthy, meaty cod filet is a bit intimidating at times, but I like the look of these cod fritters. The recipe looks easy and straightforward as well. I would love to see other cod recipes from you guys. I’m closing out so I can go and search for them here on your blog. Cheers!
Alaiyo Kiasi recently posted..Smoky Shrimp & QuinoaMy Profile

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors March 3, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Oh my goodness Hegui – i need so convincing at all – wish we could’ve come over for dinner! We’d probably polish them off in a heartbeat. I must fix a batch of this as well when I buy the salt cod to fix your other recipe. I have both bookmarked :)

Love to Stevie too!

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors recently posted..Broccoli, Leek & Dill Soup with Goat Cheese & Herb Oil DrizzleMy Profile

OysterCulture March 4, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Oh, these fritters look yummy. I love salted cod!
OysterCulture recently posted..A Bit of Heaven in Chocolate and ChurrosMy Profile

Magic of Spice March 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I remember the Brazilian croquettes…so delightful, and this is equally so! These look wonderful, and I would not be opposed to frying at all if thee were involved ;)
Magic of Spice recently posted..A Chat with Be Happy and Smoked Sea Salt Baked SardinesMy Profile

Adriana April 15, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Yum! Being from Brasil myself, the only thing I would add as far as the eating part, would be, drizzle w/ lot’s of Extra Virgin olive oil before popping it into your mouth and wash it down w/ a beer( if you don’t drink, substitute w/ ice cold guarana’ or coca cola in a can)

Heguiberto April 15, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Adriana,
That sounds decadent fun!
What kind of olive oil do use? Portuguese, Spanish?
Heguiberto