chilled summer couscous

by Stevie on December 9, 2011

I didn’t make this recipe in the summertime, which was a mistake. It comes from David Rocco’s Made in Italy cookbook. I was completely attracted to the dish because of its delightful combination of many colorful veggies and the fact that it isn’t cooked. You just mix everything together and let it sit in the refrigerator for several hours. So this is “raw cooking” so far as I can tell. That’s unusual for weirdcombinations.

chilled summer couscous

chilled summer couscous

That said, the amount of couscous was a bit daunting for two people. I’d cut it in half or even in quarters next time. Plus, since it was chilled, it wasn’t quite right for our cooler weather. But this would be perfect to throw together the night before a summertime wine country excursion, so I’m going to file it away for then.

chilled summer couscous

2 cups couscous
½ cup olive oil
24oz can chopped tomatoes with juice
Juice of one lemon
1 red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
About a dozen cherry tomatoes, in halves
12 kalamata olives in halves
1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste

Mix everything together except half of the basil. Wrap and refrigerate for several hours. Stir at least once. When it is time to serve, add remaining basil. You can have this family style or mold and plate it for a more elegant presentation.

Heavenly Housewife December 9, 2011 at 8:18 am

Sounds very fresh and delicious.
Heavenly Housewife recently posted..Heavenly Housewife and the Winter BluesMy Profile

Barbara December 9, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Looks good to me! Couscous is such a simple ingredients and it’s all in what you add to it. I like a cold salad like this.
Barbara recently posted..Gourmet’s 50 Women Game Changers in Food: #27, Anne WillanMy Profile

Shelley December 9, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I love this- how easy! There’s never enough couscous for me so I’d stick with two cups. You’re right- this looks like a perfect summertime salad!
Shelley recently posted..Karen Krasne’s Bonaparte CakeMy Profile

Magic of Spice December 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm

What an interesting preparation…looks incredibly delicious and so simple! Summer or no :)
Magic of Spice recently posted..Holiday Giveaway- The 2012 Spicie Foodie CalendarMy Profile

Anna December 10, 2011 at 10:58 am

This sounds delicioso!!
Anna recently posted..Pumpkin Chocolate Chip MuffinsMy Profile

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors December 11, 2011 at 10:18 am

Food so good is never a mistake any time of the year! I do see your point though – it will be WONDERFUL in the summer and paired with some flavorful lemony grilled fish, yummm…..

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors December 11, 2011 at 10:19 am

Food this good is never a mistake any time of the year my friend! But I do see your point – not to be missed in the summer with a side of lemony grilled fish! yummm….

The Contessa January 15, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Couscous is new to my cooking style. But this sounds wonderful. One question. Do you cook the couscous first? I’m ready cor summer time cooking.

Heguiberto January 15, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Hi Contessa,
Thanks for visiting weirdcombos! This is raw cooking so no need for conventional cooking for the couscous. Let us know hoe yours turns out!
Cheers,