tostones with shrimp, poblano pepper and heirloom tomato salsa

by Stevie on October 13, 2011

Hegui and I first tried tostones in Miami Beach. This was at least ten years ago! Too long. We’ve a friend in Florida who was dating this lovely Cuban man at the time. Aside from being marvelously good-natured and pleasant company, Luis also happened to be an incredible chef. He cooked for us our entire visit, and every dish was astounding. I was most amazed by his fried plantain appetizer, tostones. He served them with two toppings: one a thick green salsa with cilantro and avocado chunks; the second, some kind of tomato-based red sauce with shrimp. I was so enchanted with this dish on our visit, that I actually bought the little wooden implement to press the plantain pieces into shape for tostones.

tostones with shrimp, poblano pepper and heirloom tomato salsa

tostones with shrimp, poblano pepper and heirloom tomato salsa

Of course, this was the first time I ever used the device, more than a decade later. Better late than never, I guess.

I think that the plantains are supposed to be fairly green to get the crisp potato-like texture and flavor. Ours were relatively ripe. They turned a lovely golden color and became quite sweet, but didn’t crisp up at all. Not like I recall from Luis’ kitchen though very tasty nevertheless.

tostones with shrimp, poblano pepper and heirloom tomato salsa

two plantains
1 cup large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups chopped heirloom tomatoes
½ onion, finely chopped
½ poblano, ribs and seeds removed, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp cilantro, roughly chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
Vegetable oil for frying
Lime wedges for garnish

my plantains

my plantains

Peel plantains and cut into about one inch long rounds. Fry on medium high heat until they begin to color, about five minutes. Remove to a plate covered in paper towels. Let cool then gently press into round disks.

first round of frying the plantains

first round of frying the plantains

plantains after the first frying

plantains after the first frying

Return to oil and fry on higher heat to crisp them. Remove from oil to plate covered with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt.

pressing the plantains into the right shape for the second frying

pressing the plantains into the right shape for the second frying

To make sauce, add olive oil to a skillet on high heat. Once it starts to smoke, add onion and poblano. Sauté until onions become translucent. Add garlic. Sauté for about a minute more. Add shrimp and cook until they just turn pink. Add tomato, salt and black pepper to taste. Toss in cilantro and remove from heat. You just want the tomatoes to warm up, but not lose their shape.

To serve, place tostones on a large platter. Top with shrimp, poblano, tomato salsa. Garnish with lime wedges.

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors October 13, 2011 at 5:40 am

Can I just say – I want this NOW! for breakfast. In fact come Saturday grocery shopping moi is going to get all the ingredients for this lovely! Has my name written ALL over it & I know the boys will love this too:) What an awesome recipe for shrimp lovers like us. THANKS!

PS – Can’t wait to hit Miami one day for the food and the mojitos!
Devaki @ weavethousandflavors recently posted..Autumnal Pumpkin & Cranberry Drop Scones with Pumpkin, Spice & Maple ButterMy Profile

tom @ tall clover farm October 15, 2011 at 6:40 am

Stevie, these look amazingly delicious, plus I’m all about having every cooking gadget known to man. Why yes I do need a plantain squisher indeed!
tom @ tall clover farm recently posted..Apple Dumpling Recipe: Comfort Food With a CapMy Profile

Food Jaunts October 15, 2011 at 8:26 am

Such a great dish. I’m a huge fan of plantains in all of their forms. I would have never thought to top them with shrimp and salsa though, hmm…

Note to self – try this out the next time I get my hands on some green plantains!
Food Jaunts recently posted..Slow Cooker Asian Sticky WingsMy Profile

Anna October 17, 2011 at 7:04 am

Major drool. You never cease to make me hungry with your posts!
Anna recently posted..Apple Picking and the Dumplings that FollowedMy Profile

Faith October 17, 2011 at 7:49 am

Oh, these are really beautiful and no doubt incredibly delicious! I love remaking food that I first had on vacation…it really makes for a special meal, doesn’t it?
Faith recently posted..Vanilla Roasted Pears & Some Exciting NewsMy Profile

Shelley October 17, 2011 at 9:07 am

You lucky men- having a charming Cuban man cook for you your entire vacation. One thing I miss most about FL is Cuban food. I lived in northwest Florida where we didn’t have an ample supply of Cuban food but thankfully my work took me to South Florida often. Your tostones look terrific even if they didn’t crisp up like you expected. Love that little wooden press!
Shelley recently posted..Crème Fraîche Ice Cream with Salted Caramel Sauce and Pound Cake CroutonsMy Profile

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors October 23, 2011 at 7:36 am

Off to makes these now for Sunday brunch as the boys will be returning from their soccer game. Can’t wait! Will return and tell you all about it :))) Too exciting!

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors recently posted..Low-falutin’ Pot Roast ~ for them Yorkshire PuddingsMy Profile

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors October 23, 2011 at 8:47 am

Unbelievably delicious these are! In fact I am adding these as a first course for our guests for Thanks Giving week. The ingredients and flavor combinations are flawless :) Thanks for making my day – Steven and Hegui!