batter fried apple rings

by Stevie on October 24, 2011

This is not something that I’ve ever tried before: deep frying apple rings in a corn flour batter. I read about it in the New York Times Magazine recently. The article had a dozen recipes for apples. Of course, I was only drawn to the deep-fried section ;) Aside from this one, they recommended a way of making tempura-style apple rings, which sounded great but looked more complex; plus the more widely-known apple fritter.

batter fried apple rings

batter fried apple rings

This dish calls for corn meal, but I didn’t have that, so I used corn flour instead. I made this for breakie, though I think that it could be a fun sweet-treat, especially served à la mode with vanilla ice-cream. If you’re feeling particularly frisky, then add hot fudge or caramel sauce and some whipped cream. Now that sounds good!

batter fried apple rings

2 medium apples—I used Granny Smith
½ cup flour
½ cup corn meal or flour
1 cup buttermilk
1/8 tsp cayenne
Canola oil to fry with

Peel and core apples. Cut into about quarter inch thick rings. Soak in the buttermilk.

Mix dry ingredients together. Toss apples into flour mixture. Fry in hot oil until golden brown. Let drain on paper towels. Serve warm.

Su October 24, 2011 at 2:25 am

I bet this is to eat and cry for more. I’ve never tried apple like this, but since I love apple every kind of way I also must love this :)
Su recently posted..Tarte Frangipane com bagas vermelhasMy Profile

Barbara October 24, 2011 at 4:11 am

Aha! Cayenne pepper in those apple rings! Love it.
Barbara recently posted..Summer Vacation: Nevis, Part TwoMy Profile

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors October 24, 2011 at 11:11 am

Wow! I have been sying to make apple fritters and yours look so good. I have heard they taste awesome fried in olive oil like the Italians do. Have you tried that?

LOVE the touch of cayenne and the tempura-style is an apt description :)

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors recently posted..Low-falutin’ Pot Roast ~ for them Yorkshire PuddingsMy Profile

Ellen October 24, 2011 at 12:57 pm

this one must be for me:) it looks delicious, it sounds delicious, and it tastes surely delicious:) and as i see, it is quite easy to make…
Ellen recently posted..Brustverkleinerung? Wer braucht sowas?My Profile

tasteofbeirut October 24, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I have had this in mind for a while now; not using cornmeal mind you but semolina. Sounds yummy and the caramel would make it sinful for sure!
tasteofbeirut recently posted..Delights from the Garden of Eden by Nawal NasrallahMy Profile

Heavenly Housewife October 25, 2011 at 12:52 am

How wonderful, its kind of like a donut, but better for you… kinda. I love the idea of the caramel, that would be truly decadent!
Heavenly Housewife recently posted..An American in Paris: City Bakery’s Pretzel Croissant CopycatMy Profile

Anna October 27, 2011 at 7:16 am

Mmmm how fun! I was thinking about making Paula’s version…but Lord, there’s so much fat and sugar in that, it’d kill a horse. These look a little more figure friendly ;)
Anna recently posted..Raspberry-Pear Ricotta MuffinsMy Profile