orzo with spinach

by Heguiberto on September 9, 2011

I haven’t made this dish in ages! It is so satisfying and good, yet, for some reason orzo seems to have fallen out of fashion in our household. Now I am determined to make that right again. I only wish we could find more varieties here in SF. I remember in the Big Apple orzo came in many different colors, brands, sizes and shapes. Clearly I need to shop, maybe in North Beach.

orzo with spinach

orzo with spinach

You can serve this as a side or main dish. We had ours with poached salmon in lemon sauce.

orzo with spinach

1 lb orzo
2 lb organic spinach leaves: try the curly type (Bloomsdale) they are more flavorful
6 cloves of garlic, cut into thin slivers
5 tbsp grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
Kosher salt to taste
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp pine nuts

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook per instruction in the package. Drain.

Dry roast pine nuts in a skillet for about a minute, remove from heat and set aside.

Return skillet back to burner. Add 3 tbsp of olive oil. Toss in garlic and sauté until aromatic. Add spinach in three batches and cook until wilted (it is okay if some leaves don’t wilt fully, they will in the dish). Toss in orzo, season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Add cheese, remaining olive oil and pine nuts. Adjust flavors with more salt, pepper!

Makes about six servings.

Heavenly Housewife September 9, 2011 at 7:47 am

How wonderful, I can almost taste it :D
Heavenly Housewife recently posted..Cake & Culture: Glamour of the GodsMy Profile

Karen September 10, 2011 at 7:38 am

Hi guys, I finally followed up with your kind invitation to share my 7 links, but I put a little twist on it. ;-) Thanks again for the nomination! Orzo is just the coolest pasta shape, and I love adding it to minestrone. Your orzo dish looks wonderful, light and simple.
Karen recently posted..My 3 Favorite DishesMy Profile

tasteofbeirut September 11, 2011 at 9:04 pm

My daughter loves orzo and would love this dish! Great idea for a quick and light dinner.
tasteofbeirut recently posted..Wings Lebanese-styleMy Profile

Angie's Recipes September 12, 2011 at 12:20 am

This is such a tasty and healthy lunch treat!
Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Pumpkin Seed Whole Grain Spelt CookiesMy Profile

Tall Clover Farm September 16, 2011 at 7:37 am

I have some mighty fine kale leaves begging to be substituted in this dish, and maybe some cubed roasted golden beets too!
Tall Clover Farm recently posted..10 Things I Learned This SummerMy Profile

Sara September 20, 2011 at 9:47 am

Looks really nice–I am sure you could make with frozen spinach too?
Sara recently posted..End-of-Summer Tomato CrumbleMy Profile