red and white onion bajiis

by Heguiberto on August 30, 2011

Bajjis, bhajis or pakoras are Indian vegetable fritters I adore. They sort of remind me of the type of vegetable/rice fritters my mother used to occasionally make when I was a kid. She called them bolinhos de arroz, or rice balls. It was a creative way of using leftover rice. There was never waste at home and that was a good thing.

red and white onion bajiis

red and white onion bajiis

To make her bolinhos de arroz she would mix flour, baking powder, mild spices, eggs, water, left over rice, grated zucchini or chayote and just fry and serve them as an appetizer or side dish. I thought it was such a treat when she made it! But when you grow up and develop a taste for bold flavors then you replace bolinhos de arroz with bajiis.

You can make bajiis with peppers, eggplant, potatoes, or cauliflower; but my favorite ones have onions.

Here’s a simple recipe with a Brazilian-Indian approach.

red and white onion bajiis

1 medium sized white onion, thinly sliced in half-moon shape
2 medium sized red onions, thinly sliced in half-moon shape
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup chick pea flour
1½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
1 tsp kosher salt
2 large organic eggs, lightly beaten
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ bunch cilantro, chopped
3-4 tbsp cold water
Neutral oil such as canola for frying

Mix cilantro, sliced red and white onions together. Set aside.

Fill a skillet with about ½ inch of oil; bring oil temperature to high.

Meanwhile whisk flours, black and cayenne peppers, salt, cumin and turmeric powders together. Incorporate egg and water to make a thick batter. If too thick add a bit more of water. Fold in onions. Drop spoons full of batter into hot oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve warm.

Heavenly Housewife August 30, 2011 at 3:20 am

Oh, this is a real favorite of mine. I don’t make them myself, but my mother in law makes awesome ones. The trick to eating this is to eat them super fresh. Don’t let them sit around to get soggy (they are just never the same). I love it with a little dipping sauce of greek yogurt and herbs–I’m not sure if thats a traditional way of eating them or not, but it works for me.
Heavenly Housewife recently posted..Link Love: My 7 LinksMy Profile

Barbara August 30, 2011 at 5:20 am

Hi Stevie…I’ll be back blogging soon, but wanted to answer your question about 50 women game changers. Gourmet published a list…here’s the link: http://live.gourmet.com/2011/05/app-exclusive-50-women-game-changers/………and a blogger friend, Mary of One Perfect Bite, thought it would be fun to go down the list one at a time and post every Friday. I’ve been away so will be joining the group more permanently on the 9th.
Barbara

Food Jaunts August 30, 2011 at 6:29 am

I love these and we always get them any time we eat out. We prefer the vegetables ones to the chicken ones. I’ll have to make sure that I try this soon, I don’t know why I never thought to make it at home.
Food Jaunts recently posted..Potato Eggplant LasagnaMy Profile

Tall Clover Farm August 30, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Fritter-ness is next to godliness in my book of life’s beliefs. These look pretty darn awesome and a nice detour for me. My goal is to make a ‘pancake’ or fritter from every country before I’m diagnosed with heart disease. Guess I could exercise, hmmm let me think about it. Thanks for sharing, I will so make these very soon.
Tall Clover Farm recently posted..Preserving Tips: How to Thicken JamMy Profile

Magic of Spice August 30, 2011 at 8:10 pm

These are just delightful! I absolutely adore the flavors, but I am actually intrigued by the possibility of rice being used here as well. Either way they are just wonderful :)
Hope you guys are having an amazing week, and I have your 7 links, links saved to read up on ;)
Magic of Spice recently posted..The 7 Links ChallengeMy Profile

OysterCulture September 3, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I love bajiis, what a great idea! I like the rice addition too, you are genius!
OysterCulture recently posted..The Perennial Favorite: Edam Cheese aka Queso de BolaMy Profile

Reda Deen November 1, 2011 at 3:41 am

If anyone really want to make bajjis our self just come here and read this blog. After read this blogs anyone can cook bajiis