homemade “Mexican” rice, or vegetarian rice with tomatoes

by Heguiberto on August 12, 2011

I made this Mexican rice the other day to go with my tutu de feijão. I don’t even know anymore how Mexican or Tex-Mex, Brazilian or Californian this combo might be. It is vegetarian, but that sounds as limiting as any other category. I want to call it “international,” but these days that implies sort of gourmet multinational with a fancy presentation. And though this is gourmet, it sure ain’t fancy. So I’m going to follow the lead of my sometime culinary muse, Alton Brown, and quote him. This is simply “good eats!”

vegetarian rice with tomatoes

vegetarian rice with tomatoes

vegetarian rice with tomatoes

1 cup jasmine rice, rinsed
1 cup diced canned tomatoes with juices
1 cup water
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ small yellow onion, chopped
½ tsp ground cumin
Salt and black pepper to taste
4 tbsp olive oil

Heat saucepan with olive oil. Add onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and sauté until aromatic. Add rice and toss to coat. Add water, tomato, cumin. Bring rice to a boil, turn temperature to low. Give it a good stir. Cover and cook until liquid is absorbed—about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let it sit, lid on, for 10 minutes before serving it. Obviously, serve with beans.

Su August 12, 2011 at 1:13 am

This rice looks delicious, but to me everything that has tomatos on does :D
Su recently posted..Ramequins de Ovos CapreseMy Profile

Heavenly Housewife August 12, 2011 at 7:27 am

This recipe makes me think of my dad, he makes something like this.
Heavenly Housewife recently posted..Hotel des Saints-Peres, ParisMy Profile

Hamptontoes August 12, 2011 at 8:55 am

Love the looks of this dish and especially during the summer months when tomatoes are so delicious! I’ll have to tuck this one into my back pocket for our fish tacos/homemade guacomole/black bean soup night! Enjoy your summer?
Hamptontoes recently posted..Roberta Freymann Rocks!My Profile

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 12, 2011 at 9:33 am

Well, it sure does look like good eats! Delicious!

rita tower August 13, 2011 at 12:14 am

This is inspiring. I may make it with barely instead, and Heavenly Housewife…this recipe totally makes me think of my dad too as he woudl make something like this also! It seems simple enough to make!

Anna August 13, 2011 at 9:49 am

So simple but so very good!!
Anna recently posted..cherry-lime cornbread cobblerMy Profile

Krista August 13, 2011 at 10:17 am

Oh man, that looks so delicious!! Looks like something my Mother called Spanish Rice. Mmm, now I’m craving it. :-)
Krista recently posted..Exploring the Streets of PragueMy Profile

Erica August 14, 2011 at 10:11 am

What a simple and delicious side dish.
Erica recently posted..Beans and Corn Salad (Ensalada de Frijol y Maiz)My Profile

tigerfish August 16, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Tomato is a really a go-to ingredient for me in many dishes! It makes lots of “Good Eats”! I am quite sure of that.