arroz com batata AKA potato rice

by Heguiberto on July 19, 2011

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Yes, you read correctly: that’s starch and starch combined. Americans are funny about the idea, but in Brazil we know what we’re doing, and guess what: it tastes fabulous.

There is something fun about the simplicity of this dish. I love the aroma, plus the potato gives a wonderful rich creaminess to the rice that is out-of-this-world.

arroz com batata AKA potato rice

arroz com batata AKA potato rice

As a kid every now and then I would lunch at my friend, Chiquinho’s house. His mother, Dona Lena, prepared the best potato rice ever. I’m not sure how she made hers, which is funny if you think about it, as there isn’t much to it really: just rice, potato, salt, olive oil and water. Perhaps it was Dona Lena’s love that made it so memorable? All I know for sure is that this dish tasted sweet, savory, nutty, smoky, creamy; in sum, delicious! She used a cast iron pan over a wood burning stove. Inevitably there would always be a toasty crust at the bottom of the pan. She wouldn’t eat that part, saying that it burned. I would reply, “I know,” then gobble it down greedily. What a feast!

Initially I was hesitant to blog this, though I make it occasionally and always enjoy it. Actually, Steven used to tease me a bit, like a typical American, but now he’s singing a different tune. And so will you.

arroz com batata AKA potato rice

1 cup basmati rice, thoroughly rinsed
1 starchy potato, peeled and cut into ¾ cm cubes
Kosher salt to taste
3 tbsp olive oil
1 ¾ cups water

Heat up olive oil in a medium heavy bottom saucepan. Add rice, potato, salt and stir to coat everything with oil. Sauté for a minute or so. Add water then bring to a boil with the pan uncovered. Give it a good stir. Cover, reduce temperature to medium low and cook until water is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5-10 minutes before serving to let rice finish cooking.

Heavenly Housewife July 19, 2011 at 2:01 am

Oh, what a cool idea! Carb+carb :D. Don’t think i’ve every had anything like it.
Heavenly Housewife recently posted..Fish, Something Sweet, and a Cheesecake ChallengeMy Profile

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors July 19, 2011 at 8:16 am

Dear H – Sometimes I am astounded by the similarties in the old cuisines the world over – my husband’s family from West Bengal makes the exact same things but they also add mashed boiled eggs and mustard oil.

Potatoes and rice are carby heaven anyway you cut it! I love such comfort food 🙂

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors recently posted..A Cake of Three Milks – Tres Leches Cake from Latin AmericaMy Profile

Juliana July 19, 2011 at 9:52 am

I can’t believe I never had rice with potatoes, at least not cooked in the same pot. I’ll try to make some, sounds yummy!

Anna July 19, 2011 at 11:44 am

Never had this! Forget carb-free. CarbCARB!!!! And if it’s Brazilian, I’m all for it. I went to Brazil when i was 14 and I loved everything about the food there. mmmmmm!

sensiblecooking July 20, 2011 at 9:41 am

I love rice, any kind of rice. This will be perfect addition to my boring plain boiled rice. Yummy

Angie's Recipes July 20, 2011 at 11:39 am

This reminds me of the sweet potato rice that my mom used to cook for us…and as a kid, I refused to eat, and now I want this so terribly!
Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Cherry Tomato and Mint SaladMy Profile

Erica July 21, 2011 at 1:09 pm

My mom makes this dish, but in Colombia we use regular white rice. That sounds delicious with basmati rice.
Erica recently posted..Cucumber and Feta Salad (Ensalada de Pepino y Feta)My Profile

Magic of Spice July 22, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Oh now I want to try this as well…again in love, plus this is a wonderful new side 😉
Must bookmark and share now…
Oh, and have a great weekend guys!
Magic of Spice recently posted..What’s for dinner? Tropical Fajitas with Kiwi and Avocado SalsaMy Profile