dinosaur kale chips

by Stevie on June 14, 2011

We’ve an overabundance of kale right now, what with the unusual June rain we’ve been experiencing in the Bay Area. Our community garden plot has been thriving! That’s good: we’ve been harvesting it weekly and even giving some of the produce away. But it has created a confusing problem, too: what to do with all the kale? We never anticipated ever being this successful! A funny problem, indeed.

dinosaur kale chips

dinosaur kale chips

So I’ve been surfing the ‘net in search of kale recipes. Kale chips are everywhere in the digital-universe, though we’ve never had them. All you do is toss the fresh greens with some olive oil and salt—I added a pinch of cayenne for good measure, and roast them. Easy.

These looked and even tasted a bit like nori, the dried seaweed used for sushi, when they were done. That was a surprise. The chips had that oceanic flavor though also tasted intensely of kale. Mmmmm.

it is becoming a virtual kale jungle at our community garden plot

it is becoming a virtual kale jungle at our community garden plot

dinosaur kale chips*

1 bunch of dinosaur kale or similar greens, cleaned, large stems removed, cut into large bite-sized pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
Kosher salt to taste
Pinch cayenne

Pre-heat oven to 300F.

Toss kale with salt, olive oil and cayenne. Spread leaves on baking sheets covered with wax paper, being sure to keep them from touching as much as possible.

Roast for about 20 minutes until the edges look crisp.

Remove from oven and enjoy.

*I know that there are other names for this type of kale: Tuscan kale or Lacinato are two. I like the common name best, “dinosaur,” because it sounds so fierce.

fresh garden dinosaur kale

fresh garden dinosaur kale

fresh kale slathered in olive oil and ready for the oven

fresh kale slathered in olive oil and ready for the oven

Anna June 14, 2011 at 9:21 am

these look great. i’ve been tempted to make kale chips for a while. what are they good with?? or are they just a nice snack alone? never sure what to think of them :D
Anna recently posted..lemon-infused honey rice puddingMy Profile

Michael Toa June 14, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I heard so many great reviews about kale chips but yet to try them. I need to make this soon!
Michael Toa recently posted..Almond and Orange Blossom CakeMy Profile

tigerfish June 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Kale jungle! I am looking with much envy.

LeQuan June 15, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I’ve never tried kale chips before, but everytime I read about them it makes me want to buy a whole batch of them and roast the yummy goodness. I love those seaweed snacks so I know I’d love these. Good to hear that your community garden plot is doing well.
LeQuan recently posted..Hainanese Chicken Rice at Cafe D’LiteMy Profile

Shelley June 16, 2011 at 6:44 am

I’ve not had kale chips yet but I keep hearing about them as well. Your crop looks fantastic, indeed!Winter is kale season here in Texas. I guess I’ve have to put kale chips on my January 2012 to-do list :-)
Shelley recently posted..My Little Recipe TesterMy Profile

Dianne August 8, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I’m a member of the local CSA and have received a lot of dinosaur kale which I’ve usually sauteed with garlic, onions and spices. We were getting tired of that, so I decided to try your recipe for kale chips. Simply delicious! We couldn’t leave them alone. I’m hoping I get more in my box on Wednesday. Thanks!

Heguiberto August 8, 2011 at 8:38 pm

that’s wonderful, it’s so nice to hear when people try our recipes. we have lots of kale at our community garden and have been eating it all possible ways. we love kale!