spinach narcissus

by Stevie on February 11, 2011

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Of course I was initially drawn to this recipe because of its name: spinach narcissus. It has a beautiful ring to it, don’t you think? Instead of the character disorder, this dish represents the springtime daffodil, or narcissus, blooming over a bright green lawn. The sunny-side up eggs do sort of look like daffodils to me.

spinach narcissus

spinach narcissus

This comes from Food of Life and I’ve tried to follow it as closely as possible. I did end up cooking it a bit longer than suggested to make sure that the eggs firmed up enough to prevent breaking, as that would spoil the entire effect.

spinach narcissus

3 lbs spinach, washed and coarsely chopped
6 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
salt and black pepper to taste
4 eggs

Steam spinach for ten minutes. Remove from steamer and set aside.

Sauté onions in olive oil on medium in a non-stick pan until they become a golden color (about 5 to 10 minutes). Add garlic, salt, pepper and spinach. Fold everything together. Let cook for a minute more. Gently press into a flattened disk in the pan.

Break an egg into a small bowl. Carefully pour egg onto spinach avoiding damaging the yolk. Repeat with all eggs. Cover and cook until eggs have firmed up to your taste (about three to 5 minutes).

We had this with rice for dinner but I think it would make a perfect brunch meal, too.

Sharon @ Fun and Life February 11, 2011 at 3:52 am

This is something I’d LOVE to make. I normally cook spinach exactly like that, though I use more garlic and I just throw it in without steaming. But never thought to put eggs in like that. So this sounds great to me!

Faith February 11, 2011 at 9:12 am

What a beautiful dish (such a fun name too)! Spinach and eggs is a great combo and this sounds delicious…plus it’s perfect for spring!

Heavenly Housewife February 11, 2011 at 10:30 am

I love a good egg dish! This looks really cool. Yes, I agree, it does make the eggs look like daffodils 😀
Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Chris February 11, 2011 at 11:09 am

simple and beautiful 🙂

ritatower February 13, 2011 at 1:15 am

It does look like daffodils and so delicious…makes me hungry!

tasteofbeirut February 13, 2011 at 3:19 am

I saw the recipe and photo in that same cookbook and was attracted by the title; having had to deal with narcissist all my life, I wanted to exorcise them with this dish! I am glad you made it for me though ’cause I have yet to make it.
That tree with the fruits growing all over it is one amazing site! I wish I could grow it in Lebanon or Texas! My, Brazil sure boasts so many wonders of nature!

Ladan January 27, 2013 at 3:35 pm

The angelica petals in the recipe for this dish really make a difference to the taste. Just a little crumble on the top when you are about to serve takes this to another level….